Thursday 1 February 2024

War of The Rosies

In keeping with my recent posts about my favourite found objects, I thought I’d repost about this one – a piece that I titled ‘War of the Rosies’. Being made of two found objects, I prefer to call it a Minimal Intervention Sculpture, rather than a sculpture proper. The work is composed of a vintage, leather and steel, a child's baseball mask, and a pair of old horns (probably antelope). I'm not sure why I originally put the two items together, but to my mind the act of doing so created something greater than the sum of their parts.




And the reason for the title, you ask? Well, the horns and mask combo remind me of some bizarre warrior mask (hence the ‘War’ part of the title), and both elements were gifted to me by ex-girlfriends, a Rose and a Rosie. So it’s basically a bad pun (I'm not normally a fan of puns) on the series of 15th Century English civil wars known as the War of The Roses.

No comments: