Sunday 28 January 2024

Thames Flame

As I’m sure you know, I’m a big fan of the found object, and am keen to use found/recycled materials in much of my work. Most of the time, I heavily manipulate the materials in order to create the sculptures I want, but occasionally I’ll just combine two different forms together, letting their juxtaposition tell the story. Even though it sometimes feels like cheating, with these Minimal Intervention Sculptures, it’s usually the case that less is more.

 

'Thames Flame', found object sculpture, Wayne Chisnall

However, every so often I’ll find an object that is so perfect as it is that it requires on intervention at all (except maybe a good, preserving coating of wax), as was the case with this lovely piece of wood that I found whilst mudlarking along the Thames in London. I have no idea how many decades or even hundreds of years it might have lay in the river, but it looks as though the flow of silty water has slowly carved the wood, wearing away the softer parts of the grain, in order to reveal what to my eye looks like a flame caught in a strong breeze.

 

As the saying goes, ‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder’, and I see beauty in this piece of nature-carved art. I’m not sure what to name it. I’m torn between ‘Eternal Flame’, ‘Sacred Flame’, or just plain ‘Thames Flame’. Any thoughts?

No comments: