Tuesday 17 August 2010

Crab Head Doll


As my blog has been a bit drawing/doodle-heavy lately I thought I’d give you a break with something 3D. This is one of my small component sculptures. I’m not quite sure where these component pieces are going – whether they will eventually form part of an installation, join together to form a weird mutated sculpture or just sit on the shelf and gather dust. Once I have enough of them I’m sure something will suggest itself.
As you can probably tell from this piece and from my Crab Claw paintings, I have a bit of an obsession with crustaceans and anything else that has claws. I think it probably stems from my love of collecting dead things as a child and of long walks along the beaches in Wales – where there was always an abundant supply of crab parts.

6 comments:

Dori the Giant said...

I absolutely adore this.
It's so great and unique.

asfjh said...

That head is great, and I like how you've photographed it with a busy background. I like:)

Wayne Chisnall said...

Thanks Eve and Wallflower. Your comments are much appreciated.

Sandra Valerie said...

if i wasnt that scared of dollheads - i would love this piece!

Anonymous said...

i was just on google searching crab head and i came across this oh my goodness i need this in my life

Wayne Chisnall said...

Thank you everyone. I'm now expanding on this piece and have nearly completed a chapel-like framework to house the it. The structure will be ready and on display at the opening of my new solo show at Nancy Victor gallery on Thurs 7th Feb. Hope you can make it!