Monday 14 September 2020

Two Small Paintings

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I find it creatively refreshing to flit between different artistic mediums every so often. So whilst I was waiting for the resin to dry on the latest sculpture that I'm working on, I thought I'd have a break and do a couple of small oil paintings.

 

'Bow Tie Man Crying', 2020, small oil painting by Wayne Chisnall

As you can see, they're quite different. The first one is more of a quick, cartoonish oil sketch, that I did to get myself back into the flow of painting again.


The second one, which I've titled 'The Monster' is painted over an earlier painting - one that had turned out unsuccessful because, at the time, I'd probably been too tired or lacked enough enthusiasm to put any real effort into it. I call it 'The Monster' because I've recently re-read Mary Shelley's 'Frankenstein', and whilst painting it I was trying to envisage a version of the monster that didn't resemble the iconic one that Boris Karloff played in James Whale's 1931 classic horror movie, 'Frankenstein'.

 

'The Monster', 2020, small oil painting by Wayne Chisnall


On the whole I don't have a favourite colour, but when it comes to oil painting, I do love a bit of red.

No comments: