Tuesday 28 July 2020

Burning Crosses & Crucifying Birds


In preparation for some upcoming sculptures I've been doing some small experimental pieces so that I can test out the visual effects of various combinations of resin, hair and fire on wood. 
 
Burnt Cross Test Pieces/Maquettes, 2020, by artist, Wayne Chisnall

I had started off the test procedure by building small wooden frame structures to work from but soon realised that this was too time consuming and unnecessary so instead opted for simple cross structures.

'Crucified Bird' (Burnt Cross Test Piece/Maquette), 2020, by artist, Wayne Chisnall

This proved a much better option as I was able to knock-up (the English, as opposed to the American, usage of the phrase) loads of test structures and try out a wider variety of hair and resin mixtures - as well as other materials, as is evident with the 'Crucified Bird' piece. I will state at this point, that I never kill animals for use in my artwork. The bird in this piece was a gift from a neighbour's cat, and well and truly dead before it go to me.

Burnt Cross Test Pieces/Maquettes, 2020, by artist, Wayne Chisnall

Because of the rather toxic fumes and smoke given off by the burning of resin, I conducted my experiments outdoors, in my garden - all the time, trying not to dwell on the rather negative connotations of burning crosses in gardens.

No comments: