Wednesday 27 May 2020

Frankenstein's Log


The Frankenstein part of the work's title comes from the appearance of the join between the upper and lower halves of the sculpture. It reminds me of the creature from Mary Shelley's most famous novel; having been stitched together from different body parts. Although, my sculpture wasn't put together from parts of different trees. I just glued it back together after having accidentally smashed it two when I was trying to break off a section that I didn't want.

'Frankenstein's Log', 2020, sculpture by British artist, Wayne Chisnall

At the time I really should have realised that the weakest point in this hollow log was going to be across the "mouth" section. However, breaking it at that particular point did allow me sufficient enough access to work on creating the gums and inserting the teeth.

Detail from 'Frankenstein's Log', 2020, sculpture by British artist, Wayne Chisnall

When I glued the two halves of the piece back together I thought I'd accentuate join with the addition of handmade, rusty staples; giving it a look reminiscent of Boris Karloff's portrayal of the monster in the 1931, James Whale film version of Frankenstein. I do have a nostalgic fondness for those early black and white horror films.

Detil of staples from 'Frankenstein's Log', 2020, sculpture by British artist, Wayne Chisnall

The upper section of the piece originally had three branches but I rounded them off to create bulbous horns.

Rear view of 'Frankenstein's Log', 2020, sculpture by British artist, Wayne Chisnall

I think that, at some point, I'm gonna have to take a photograph of myself, cradling the piece in my arms, à la David Lynch's Log Lady from TwinPeaks.


No comments: