Tuesday 28 January 2020

Sophie Scholl Portrait


As I mentioned in my previous post, I've been attempting to produce a thousand paintings in a year. Admittedly they are little more than quick oil sketches.
 
Quick oil sketch of anti-Nazi political activist, Sophie Scholl by UK artist, Wayne Chisnall, 2020

This one is intended as a tribute to one of my heroes, Sophie Scholl. She was a German student and anti-Nazi political activist, active within WhiteRose, the non-violent resistance group in Nazi Germany. After being found distributing anti-war leaflets at the University of Munich (LMU) with her brother, Hans, the Nazis convicted her of high treason and executed her at the guillotine.

This small oil painting of Sophie, painted on an old book cover, also features a version of her last words,
"Such a fine, sunny day, and I have to go... What does my death matter, if through us, thousands of people are awakened and stirred to action?"

2 comments:

Patriccus said...

I love this - when and where will this portrait be displayed?

Wayne Chisnall said...

Thanks Patriccus,
I glad that you like it. I don't currently have any plans to exhibit this piece. Although, after the end of the year-long project, when all the paintings are completed, I might see if I can find somewhere to exhibit them (or a large portion of them). If I do end up exhibiting them then I'll definitely mention it here in my blog.
Cheers