Saturday 21 November 2009

Free Art



Swirl Skull Print RCA 2009, originally uploaded by Wayne Chisnall.
I've finally managed to catch up on all the sleep that I missed from working through the night, last night, to get all the Swirly Skull mini screen prints done in time so that I could hand them out free to all those dedicated art lovers queueing up for this years RCA Secret sale at The Royal College of Art, London (damn, that was a long sentence). I plan to do a very limited edition, larger version of the Swirly Skull at some point in the future, as well as a limited run featuring a block of 9 skulls (each skull being the same size as the ones I gave out today) but I'll keep you posted on that - I need to find a new studio first.
Last year I handed out stickers to so this year I thought I'd do something special and I created 400, signed and editioned, postcard-sized screen prints - just for the RCA Secret punters.
It had been a long time since I last hand printed a set of screen prints myself and I had forgotten how much fun it was. I must also say a big thank you to screen printer and clothes designer, Chris Hall (check out his new range of street wear at the Sunday 'Up Market', off Brick Lane, London) for preparing the screen for me, for all his technical advise and for use of his screen printing equipment. Much appreciated.
Sorry to all those in the crowd that I wasn't able to get to. Unfortunately I arrived a few minutes too late to reach people at the very front of the queue, as the doors had just opened and everyone was understandably eager to get inside.
As usual at the RCA Secret event, everyone was feeling excited and chatty - and it was great to see a few familiar faces from last year. Because I got there a little late I missed out on catching up with some of the regulars camped out at the front but it would be good to catch up with some of you and find out how you did.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was a fantastic gesture from you... I got number 218 of the ace cards you were giving out - thank you. This is the 2nd time I've encountered you in the queue (did so last year)... it's so cool that you do this :)

UcanBeverywhere said...

Thank you so much for this lovely idea of yours.... Great surprise indeed! I was there queuing for more than 5 hours!
Great thing to do! And good luck with your art work!

Wayne Chisnall said...

Thank you both for the lovely comments - just pleased that you liked the print. Cheers