Saturday 13 February 2016

Vamalgam 7

For this year's Victoria and Albert Museum (where I work part-time) staff art show, 'Vamalgam 7', I am exhibiting my painting, ' Tentacle Touch Teddy'.


For a while now I've been tinkering with the idea of doing some 2D and 3D cross-over pieces. One line of enquiry that I'm eager to pursue is a series of painted tower and box sculptures; either brightly painted in single colours, with possible tonal variations, or with intricate designs, like my recent 'Tattooed Tumour Box' sculpture. However, with 'Tentacle Touch Teddy', I made a start on a slightly different cross over process by depicting an image of one of my wheeled, orifice boxes on the surface of the very material that I normally use to construct the sculptures themselves - in this case, a piece of antique plywood packing crate, sourced from the Victorian and Albert Museum itself. There's also something very satisfying about painting on a rough, and untreated mid-tone surface (and working with its existing idiosyncrasies), as opposed to a pristine white one.

No comments: