Tuesday 23 February 2016

Creative Debuts – Showcase XIII



A few weekends ago, at an artists seminar held in the basement of the Hilton hotel in Piccadilly, London, I met some interesting chaps who had set up a platform called Creative Debuts. Not only is Creative Debuts an online gallery, set up to debut emerging artists and designers, but it also has a physical space, The Black and White Building, in the heart of Shoreditch (probably the hippest spot on the planet right now). This gallery is Creative Debuts' vehicle for showcasing artists through month-long exhibitions – all of which open on the first Thursday of every month as part of Whitechapel Gallery's First Thursdays.


After joining Creative Debuts, and uploading some images of my work onto my own Creative Debuts page I was pleased to be invited to be part of the next exhibition, Showcase XIII, which opens Thursday 3rd March (7-10:30 PM).


Five of my pieces were selected for the show – one of my oldest sculptures, Baby Kit (from the late 90s), and four recent paintings from my Taster Menu series; a series which was originally created for a four day pop-up event at the A Plus A Gallery, during the opening week of last year's Venice Biennale. Even though these two groups of works were created decades apart, they are rather neatly tied together by the fact that they all feature doll parts.

No comments: