Sunday 31 August 2014

Tattooed Tumour Box - Progress Report #1

Most of the structural work for my new sculpture, Tattooed Tumour Box, is already built. It's now just a matter of coming up with the drawings, transferring them onto the numerous plywood sections, and then assembling the work.


The time consuming stages now are going to be coming up with the new drawings, which are mostly based upon sketches of found objects that I've been collecting, along with elements of my existing sculptures, and bits that I just make up as I go along (all morphed together). Although the act of getting the drawing onto the sculpture can be very laborious in itself, as I first have to sketch out the idea, trace it in ink onto tracing paper, re-draw over the lines on the tracing paper when I transfer the image to the plywood, then re-draw it again when I ink in the final image on the sculpture's surface. It's a bloody good job that I enjoy what I do!
As this isn't exactly going to be five minute affair I thought that I'd post some images from various stages of the process as it progresses. Above is a photo of one of the sides of the main cube section of the sculpture, after the final inking-in stage. 

 
All the drawings that I'm making for this project take their lead from an earlier drawing that I came up with, called Morphed Components, and it's this drawing that forms the starting point for the sculpture's 'tattoo'. In the top right-hand corner of this scan of the inked-up tracing you can see that I've indicated the area where one particular section of the drawing folds back over another part of the same drawing, as it moves around a corner section of the sculpture. This is proving to be an 'interesting' aspect of the process that I'm quickly learning to factor in.

No comments: