Wednesday 21 August 2024

Celebrating The Work, Life & Genius of Brian Catling

Some years ago I chanced upon the work of Brian Catling when I discovered his novel, The Vorrh, in a second-hand book shop. The book’s cover featured endorsements from such greats as Alan Moore, Philip Pullman, Terry Gilliam, Ian Sinclair, Tom Waits, and others, so naturally I had to read it. And I wasn’t disappointed. I devoured the book. It may be the most imaginative book I’ve ever read. It was only later I discovered that Catling was not only an amazing novelist, but also a poet, sculptor, painter, and performance artist.



So when I was invited to take part in a London event, celebrating the legacies and genius of the man (who sadly died in 2022), I jumped at the offer. The event will involve a weekend and 2 Nights of Art, Performance, Readings, Film and Discussion, and feature the work of over 40 artists.



My contribution to the weekend event will be an exhibition of 3 relatively new sculptures that I’ve not previously exhibited. They are Metamorphosis, and 2 of my wall-mounted giant mask pieces, Fetish Face and Rug Face.



I was also delighted to find out that some of the artists that I’ll be exhibiting alongside, I already know, or, I’m already familiar with their work. Some of them I’ve previously communicated with but have not actually met in person (such is the way of the online world now). Others, I’ve known for years, having previously collaborated with, or been in art collectives with; art collectives such as FOAD and the London Biennale free-form artist initiative (founded by the late David Medalla, and AdamNankervis).



Here’s a bit a couple of paragraphs about Brian and the Candid Arts event, that I lifted from ArtRabbit (which I suspect was lifted from somewhere else):

“Brian Catling's world is not one of comfort or entertainment, but of red dreams and visceral experience, one probably getting as close as anyone to the one William Blake envisioned centuries ago.

A British sculptor, poet, novelist, film maker and performance artist, Brian Catling died in 2022 and this event seeks to evoke his presence again by assembling a group of artists, writers and performers who combine to present their works as shadows of his gigantic presence. This weekend offers oblique glimpses into such realms of imagination, from haunting poetry and dark rituals to mesmerizing paintings, sculpture and berserk novels, to uncover the necessary occult that lurks within us...”



Venue: Candid Arts 3 Torrens Street, London, EC1V 1NQ · (020) 7837 4237

Friday 30th & Saturday 31st August (6pm - 10pm)

Sunday 1st September (1pm - 6pm)

Free entrance

 

Weekend donations will go towards the Candid Arts Centre Survival Campaign.



 

No comments: