Friday 1 March 2024

En-garde

‘En-garde’ is one of the pieces from a line of what I like to call my minimal intervention sculptures. These are sculptures I've made from found materials, where I've done little actual manipulation of the objects themselves; Instead, I either mount and display a piece of material in pretty much the same state as I found it (letting its intrinsic qualities speak for themselves) or I put together two or more found objects/materials to create an altogether new object.


'En-garde', minimal intervention sculpture by artist Wayne Chisnall


This piece is made from an old dead rose bush, where I removed the soil to expose the roots, cut away the top section in a nice straight line (a few inches above what had been ground level) and inverted it. I love the sense of balance in this piece, almost as if it is maintaining a stance in readiness to spring into action, hence the title.

 

No comments: