Wednesday 21 February 2024

Frankenstein's Log (sculpture)

As with more than a few of my artworks, there’s a Mary Shelley’s ‘Frankenstein’-influence present in my sculpture ‘Frankenstein’s Log’. I not only love the original novel, but I also grew up loving the 1931 movie version (and the spin-offs, such as the 1935 ‘Bride of Frankenstein’) by director James Whale. The stapled together element of my sculpture pays homage to that of the visuals of the monster, as played by BorisKarloff, in the old black and white movie versions. As well as for aesthetic reasons, the hand-made metal staples I made for the ‘Frankenstein’s Log’ also service a practical purpose. They actually help hold together the upper and lower sections of the sculpture.

 

'Frankenstein's Log' sculpture, artist Wayne Chisnall

This stitching together of separate parts (as happened with Shelley’s creature in the book, and with the monster in the movies) became necessary with my sculpture because when I found the original log in the woods, it was a lot longer than it is now and as I didn’t have a wood saw with me at the time, I decided to break the log into smaller pieces by smashing it against a tree. Even though I hit the log against the tree at a point further down from the area that eventually became the mouth, I failed to take into account at the time that this mouth point was the obvious weak spot, and so that’s where the log snapped first.

 

'Frankenstein's Log' (3 x detail) sculpture, artist Wayne Chisnall

I was initially pissed-off (or ‘pissed’ as American English would have it, although ‘pissed’ over here in the UK means excessively drunk) with myself for breaking the log at this important section. However, this proved a blessing in disguise, not only because it offered me a reason to employ the Karloff’s monster-style staples, but because it also allowed me easier access to the upper and lower ‘jaws’ for when I came to create the teeth and gums element of the sculpture. So the accident turned out somewhat serendipitous in the end.


'Frankenstein's Log' (detail) sculpture, artist Wayne Chisnall


The upper section of the piece originally had three branches, but I rounded them off to create bulbous horns.

 

'Frankenstein's Log' sculpture, artist Wayne Chisnall


I realise that, at some point, I'm gonna have to take a photo of myself, cradling Frankenstein’s Log in my arms, à la David Lynch's Log Lady from Twin Peaks. But for now, here's just a photo of me and Frankenstein's Log, screaming along together.


'Frankenstein's Log' sculpture and artist Wayne Chisnall


No comments: