Saturday 25 January 2020

2020 Painting Challenge


A few years ago, as a way to help increase the flow of creative ideas and increase drawing speed, I went through a phase whereby I wouldn't allow myself to go to sleep at night until I'd done at least ten drawings. Admittedly a lot of them where little more than scribbles but it produce some interesting images that I was later able to work with, and proved a usefully exercise for getting the creative juices flowing.

Bound Form, 2020, oil on plywood by British artist, Wayne Chisnall

With that I mind I was thinking that it might be interesting to try and attempt something similar but with painting. I was wondering if it would be possible to produce a thousand paintings, albeit small ones, in a year - which would be almost three paintings a day. I think that maintaining that output over a whole year would be pretty challenging so I'm not making any promises but on the 20th January this year I thought I'd give it a go. I'm only a few days into the project but so far I'm just about on schedule.

Wobbly Alien Robot, 2020, oil on plywood by British artist, Wayne Chisnall

Here are a few of the mini oil paintings/oil sketches that I've produced so far. They are mostly painted on small pieces of plywood or chipboard (recycled form Victoria and Albert Museum packing crates), or on old book covers. To see the full range of paintings check out my Instagram page, where I'll be posting them at hopefully regular intervals.

Ring Toss, 2020, oil on book cover by British artist, Wayne Chisnall

No comments: